I sometimes lose sight of the big picture. It helps me to look back on the last 6 months and see how I’ve grown! So this post is for me. But it is also for you: I’m going to put my bestsellers on
sale for 24 hours only!
I like to see how my art style has changed and developed since I started drawing patterns. I know you guys are buying crochet patterns, but I am really creating art. The crochet part is secondary.
Creating art has been scary at times. Showing something I have drawn opens up the risk that people will hate it. That hasn’t really happened, but I get scared every time I publish a new pattern. There is a quote that I read somewhere… but of course I can’t find the actual quote now and I don’t know who to credit with saying it. But my horrible memory summarizes it like this:
Artists don’t like their own art because it looks like they drew it. This is in fact the best quality of their work!unknown, paraphrased
I definitely have felt this. My art looks like something I drew – which is technically a good thing – but it makes me highly critical of it.
And sometimes what I imagine in my head doesn’t get conveyed to the final piece. That can sometimes be good and other times not-so-good. Sometimes it surprises me when certain patterns sell better than others. Do you have a favorite? I think my Monstera Leaf blanket was my favorite make in the last few months.
Some of these patterns are older than others, obviously, but these were my top 10 sellers on Ravelry in the last 6 months:
- MusicCAL – This one surprises me, because it was available free online! Thank you for making this my number 1 seller since March 2021!
- Brotzell Tiger King – I am not so surprised at this one. It took me a long time to draw this one and I am pleased that you all found my effort worth it.
- Summer Direction CAL – This one has a free version as well! I think you guys like working on the same project together.
- A Year of Gnomes eBook – Every month a new gnome reminds everyone about this eBook, so I am not surprised to see it on this list!
- Baby Ocean and Others eBook – This eBook has 6 patterns and it is a great value so having this on the top 10 list makes sense to me! Plus I think these designs are kind of awesome.
- Blooming Owl Wall Hanging – This is my husband’s favorite, and it is a close 2nd for me.
- Monstera Leaf – Like I said above, this was my favorite crochet project this year. I made it with my best friend in mind but I almost kept it instead!
- Into the Ocean – This one is definitely on my top 5 all-time-favorites list!
- 2020 Mother’s Day CAL eBook – Seeing this one on the list does surprise me – it is over a year old!
- Chained Ponds – This one was my 200th pattern on Ravelry. And I believe it is on the top 10 list because of the challenge I gave you all to complete it within 6 weeks and receive a pillow square for free!
Were you surprised like me? Did your favorite pattern make it on the list?
Just for fun, I’m putting all 10 of these on sale for 24 HOURS ONLY! Use code “
21TOPTEN” on Ravelry to get 20% off any of my top ten patterns! (Offer expires at 3:30 pm CST, November 13, 2021. Not valid on Etsy)
Share this content: