Months ago I created a custom pattern that included this caduceus as part of the design. I meant to get the public version posted sooner but, alas, life gets busy and I forgot. Earlier today I saw someone asking if there were any medical patterns and I was reminded that I had this in my drafts!
Here’s an amusing quote from wikipedia:
The caduceus is the traditional symbol of Hermes and features two snakes winding around an often winged staff. It is often used as a symbol of medicine, especially in the United States, despite its ancient and consistent associations with trade, liars, thieves, eloquence, negotiation, alchemy, and wisdom.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caduceus_as_a_symbol_of_medicine
The chart for the interlocking crochet technique has the double border lines and mesh dots as required for this technique. It is 217 x 221.
I’ve adjusted the chart for the overlay mosaic technique and removed the dots and unnecessary border lines. This chart is 213 x 217. It has X’s marking the dropped double crochets and because there are so many in a row I suggest using a larger gauge than the interlocking version.
Of course, gauge is really a suggested guideline that you are completely free to ignore. To be really accurate you should make your own gauge swatch with the yarn you want to use and then you can do some math and figure out how large the finished piece would be with your personal gauge.
For my personal crochet projects I tend to do a gauge swatch only for something wearable (like a sweater) and wouldn’t bother for a blanket.
Get the Pattern
Take 20% off your entire cart with purchase of this pattern until January 8, 2022. Automatic, no code needed.
- Chart is 217 x 221
- Finished measurements approximately 54” x 55” / 138cm x 140cm
- 4.5 mm hook (US7)
- Worsted weight yarn (3360-3435 yards total)
- Main color (MC) – 1680 yards plus 75 for optional border
- Accent color (AC) – 1680 yards
- Gauge: 16 DC x 8 rows = 4”
Overlay Mosaic Crochet
- Chart is 213 x 217
- Finished measurements approximately 57” x 62” / 144cm x 157cm
- 5 mm hook (H-8)
- Worsted weight yarn (4475-5075 yards)
- Main color (blue on chart) – 1450 yards
- Contrasting color (white on chart) – 3025 yards
- Optional Envelope Border – 600 yards
- Gauge: 14 stitches x 15 rows = 4”
Share this content: