This custom square was drawn by Natalie Caruso. She adjusted the soccer ball from her “Love Soccer Mosaic Throw” (https://ravel.me/love-soccer-mosaic-blanket) so that it would be a 40-window square for a customer who wanted the squares to match my other 40-window squares! I removed the mesh dots for the mosaic version and got both techniques written up. Teamwork!
There is one file for the interlocking crochet method, and another file for the overlay mosaic crochet method. The interlocking mesh dots and extra border lines have been removed for the mosaic version of this pattern.
It is written up with worsted weight as the suggested yarn, but like all of my patterns you can use whatever weight yarn you want. Just make sure you use an appropriately sized hook to go with your yarn.
You’ll need two colors, and they need to have good contrast. You’ll want them to be as similar as possible in regards to weight and material.
A gauge swatch can tell you how large your finished piece will be if you aren’t meeting the gauge I’ve set out. For a non-wearable piece you don’t really need to meet gauge.
If you’re joining this square to others of the same size (see the full list: ashleeslint.com/patterns#large) then you’ll want to keep the same tension for each project. If you’re planning to turn this into a wall hanging then it probably matters even less.
Get the Pattern
Remember, if you’ve previously purchased my pattern Oh Canada! Throw then you can take 30% off your cart until June 19, 2022 by using code “OHCAN“!
Interlocking Crochet Details
- Chart is 81 x 81
- Finished measurements approximately 20” x 20” / 51cm x 51cm
- 4.5 mm hook (US7)
- Worsted weight yarn (460 – 485 yards total)
- Main color (MC) – 230 yards plus 25 for optional border
- Accent color (AC) – 230 yards
- Gauge: 16 DC x 8 rows = 4”
Overlay Mosaic Crochet Details
- Chart is 77 x 77
- Finished measurements approximately 20” x 22” / 52cm x 56cm
- 5 mm hook (H-8)
- Worsted weight yarn (650 – 900 yards)
- Main color (blue on chart) – 275 yards
- Contrasting color (white on chart) – 375 yards
- Optional Envelope Border – 250 yards
- Gauge: 14 stitches x 15 rows = 4”